Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Profile Writing Reflection

First off, hey classmates. I am so sorry I posted my article so late. Really, very unfair & disrespectful to all of my workshop group. I apologize.

This piece was rough for me, but ended up feeling okay about the draft. It was hard after weeks of writing and re-writing our personal pieces to have to rely on someone else for an interview.  My first two options weren't working out, and I was flustered about where to go when everything was falling through.

Interviewing Alison was a really good decision though. I met her three years ago and we haven't kept contact other than the rare occasion I'll see her at a concert at Bell's or an art hop.  But I knew she'd be a good interview because of her eagerness to share her stories, she is a story teller, and her way of speaking felt so natural, I knew capturing her voice and inflections would be a fun challenge.

I don't know if the story has enough heft. I think she's interesting, and she has faults and struggles, but not sure if that's enough? I'm interested to know what people think.

In writing the piece, transcribing was the most difficult part for me. I can't remember anything. I have the worst memory, so I had go through the whole interview slowly. And Alison's interview lasted 2.5 hours, so it was dense with lots of anecdotes.  Writing my piece so late, I didn't feel like I had time to get into the narrative aspect of the piece—oops, that's the point, right?—and relied on her quotes because they were so strong, the ones I paraphrased may have even been stronger in her words.

I think that's going to be my biggest critique and edits: how do I push this into a more narrative piece? And how do I choose whether to put myself in the work? I wanted to write about finding her at her house stealing flowers from the neighbors garden and how she showed me her tattoo of a panda on her boob on facebook but I couldn't wrap my head around whether that would add or if those were just moments that spoke to me and detracted from the profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment