Monday, April 8, 2013

How to Poach an Egg


     I’ve got this casual infatuation with eggs. I love them, actually.  Their off-ness, the way they roll on a counter, the way they ooze and crackle in a pan, how they can thicken or poof a dish. They’re a cheap meal, they can be decorated, pickled or thrown. But I had never learned how to make the most beautiful of eggs, a perfect parcel of gooey-goodness: a poached egg.  Poached eggs are like truffles to me. They are a rare treat, only for special occasions. Eating them feels rich, decadent, covered in hollandaise or cooked in a homemade tomato sauce. 
     Last summer on a trip home to Minneapolis, I called up my go-to egg aficionado, my mother’s mother, Grandy.  She’s oddly egg-like, actually. Taupe-y, almost.  She has a lot of beige and white in her aesthetic, the kind of blue button-up wearing woman who has throw blankets all over the house and still has my great-grandmother’s sewing kit equipped with thimbles in her bedroom closet. I used to spend the night at her old place on the Mississippi when I was little and we’d watch “The Little Rascals” and sing about pickles and dollars. But on cue, five minutes in, Grandy began to slump on the couch, snoring, mumbling in her sleep. 
     In the morning we’d wake up to barely browning english muffin toast—this magical hybrid, airy like Thomas’ but not dense and chewy—and eggs fried quickly in too much butter with coarse salt and pepper. Sometimes she whipped up coveted egg-in-a-basket, a small window cut out in the toast with the bottom of a juice glass, the perfect frying hole for a small egg.  Sleepovers at Grandy’s were the only times I would eat breakfast. My own mother would force me to drink Carnation Breakfast Essentials, a disgusting ‘chocolate’ protein ‘shake’ that tasted like saw dust and cold Swiss Miss.  
     “Mom, this stuff makes me gag. I’m going to barf all over the bus and no one will talk to me.” 
     “Well, Hun, we’ll just have to home-school you until you start eating real breakfast.”
     I would dump the full glasses down the toilet or in my mom’s flower garden depending on how vengeful I felt. 
     But I could stomach Grandy’s eggs.  They didn’t have the cold, soggy features I had associated with breakfast.  They warmed me, got me going.  I began cooking eggs on my own.  Julia Child taught be how to make a French omelet—it’s in the wrists—I found I like my scrambled eggs barely cooked, as cloud-like as possible. I know how to tell when a zucchini frittata is browned but not overcooked.  I made the Barefoot Contessa’s quiche Lorainne, which, let’s be honest, contains mostly cream, not eggs. But I suck at poaching an egg. 
     I told myself the simplicity makes dropping eggs into boiling water so difficult. You can find tricks and secret techniques all over the internet, but none of them seemed to work.  The number of eggs I wasted, yolks bursting in bubbling water, egg whites turning into a bland egg-drop soup, has to be at least two dozen. 
     Grandy had the answer. 
     “Oh Han, I’m flattered you’d ask me. It’s easy, Sweety, come over on Saturday and I’ll show you.”
     We stood in her kitchen, surrounded by heart-shaped black and grey stones she had collected on the Mississippi and on the shores of Lake Superior.  Her spatulas a heart-shaped.  She has framed drawings her mother made in the 30s—my great grandmother drew the fashion designs for Vogue before cameras were commercialized. I never knew my great-grandmother. She had died very young, when Grandy was only nine.  On the counter we gathered a small, 2 quart pan and filled it halfway with water, a tablespoon of vinegar, a slotted spoon, some salt and two slices of english muffin bread.  We were listening to Etta James.
     “You’ve got to get the water just barely boiling,” Grandy said, pouring the vinegar into the pot. “Bubbling up the sides. It can’t be too hot or they will break.”
     “Did your mother ever teach you how to cook Grandy? Was she a good cook?”
     “Oh, she was a beautiful cook. Everything she did was beautiful—she was an artist. And she cooked like one.  The day she died she left meat out, defrosting on the counter.”
     A few months before my Mom had told me Grandy was writing an essay on her mother’s death and how it had affected her life. At twenty I still didn’t know my family history beyond two generations.
     “Grandy, will you tell me about her?”
     As the water heated up, when it was just right, she swirled the pan slightly with her wrist so that the liquid spun in a circle.  
     “I don’t know much, Han. I was so little.  So, so little. She made all my clothes—she loved sewing. I hated it. I wanted the clothes from the store, but all mine had perfect little buttons and pockets.”
     “But how did she die?” 
     She tapped the egg on the edge of the counter, held the cracked vessel over the pan, pushed her fingers through the shell, and lowered the gloppy mass into the eye of the tornado. 
     “She left a note one afternoon. I was at girl-scouts. When I got home, my father was on the steps. He told me the neighbors had invited me over for dinner. It was like she disappeared, it never felt like she died.”
     If your egg looks awful at this point, like an old man with a beard floating on his back, you’re doing it right. 
     “In her note she said she couldn’t be the wife and mother she ‘ought to be.’” Grandy said. “I didn’t know any of this until much, much later, when I was 16 and my step mother died suddenly, when I put the pieces together.”
     Poaching takes patience.  As the filmy strands of egg become opaque and less flimsy, gather the whites with the slotted spoon and tuck them loosely around the yolk. 
     I watched how Grandy made the egg into a neat little bundle with ease. On cue the bread popped up from the toaster. 

     “She was before her time, Hannah. You couldn’t do this. You couldn’t make eggs and be an artist.”
     She handed me the butter for the toast. 

     “You had to choose.  She wasn’t domestic enough. Wasn’t a mother enough. Cared about her own art more than her children.”

     She set the poached egg on its toast bed. 
     “Of course now we know that’s not true. She just wanted more than she was given. She wanted to get out.”
     I salted and cracked pepper on the tops of both the eggs. We sat down at the dinning room table.  It was before noon and the sun was just reaching the tops of the Minneapolis skyline.
     “Thank you for telling me, Grandy”
     “I could’ve told you sooner. We should know these things about each other. Share ourselves.”
     She lifted the butter knife over our breakfast, and sliced, letting all the insides out. 



Intended Publication: New York Times Magazine | Lives
Word Count: 1214

9 comments:

  1. Hey all, just to let you know, I posted at 1pm before my classes but made some edits a little late, after five, so if you looked at it right at five it will be slightly altered. Thanks, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this piece! I felt like I was standing in the kitchen next to Grandy and you, also trying to learn how to poach an egg.

    I find your story telling to be compelling (hah, that rhymes!) because you seamlessly weave together many layers. You have the actual egg itself alongside cooking alongside learning alongside Grandy alongside your great-grandmother alongside the truth. The many layers add a richness to your writing, which contributed to making me feel like I was inside the story.

    My favorite part is your description of Grandy and when you spent nights at her house as a little girl. I also really liked how you incorporated the discussion of your great-grandmother—it flowed naturally with the rhythm of Grandy teaching you how to poach an egg.

    I wanted to hear more about how you felt when Grandy was telling you about her mother. Were you surprised? Sad? Were you holding back, or is that all you wanted to say to Grandy? Perhaps a little look into what’s going on inside your head while Grandy is sharing with you would be beneficial to the piece.

    Overall, I could see myself reading this piece in the Sunday paper! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. I love your ending. I think the flow of this piece is near perfect as well, much like the way that you walk the reader through your cooking process with Grandy. The introduction, where you first go into your fascination with eggs and its relation to your grandmother, is a great segue into the scene of interaction. It is deeply personal, but not to the point of messy pathos. I agree with Paula in that I wanted to hear more about what was going on in your head, though. It seemed extremely casual for such a serious matter at the end, but, hey, that's what you might have been going for, more like a step-by-step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah,

    I thought your piece was really original. I especially liked the opening. It made me want to eat an egg. It was things like your comparison of eggs to truffles, the conversation with your mom about puking on the bus and the egg-like description of Grandy that made me love reading your essay.

    The way you wove the conversation with Grandy and the process of poaching an egg was not only effective but seemed effortless. In the piece Grandy calls her mother an artist, which I liked because your descriptions of Grandy making poached eggs was very artistic. I absolutely loved the last sentence.

    Character development throughout the piece was excellent. You brought Grandy and her mother to life and while you developed yourself as a character I think there’s room for some more expansion. All of your dialogue is great, but I’m interested in what exactly was going through your mind while poaching the eggs and having this emotionally intense conversation with Grandy. Also, from reading the last section it seems like Grandy remained pretty calm while explaining about her mother’s death, but I wonder if that was actually how it played out or if you noticed little changes in her demeanor/voice like a slight shake of the hands or a falter in her voice. Overall I thought you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY SHIT THE DETAILS. The way you went into detail about different things throughout the story was fantastic. From the way you described Grandy, her house, and the physical taste of Carnation, I thought you did a great job of paying attention to detail in a way that made it all seem effortless. What’s impressive as well is that the story still moves along at a good pace, when talking about small and big things alike. I also enjoyed the way that you included your great-grandmother slyly. I was a bit confused as to why you first introduced her like that, but as you talked about her more, I quickly realized why you had included her. Including her in such a way was effective because you have such an important character to the story, but you immediately gave her depth with her first mention, and this continued throughout the story. With that being said, I’d like to see what your reasoning for introducing her into the story was, as Jon and Paula have said. She is obviously important to the story, but what motivated you to ask Grandy about her for the first time after so much time? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dialogue keeps us moving and the story pumping doesn't it? Not that you don't already know that, because you did it--yeah. Um, well I suppose a good a place to start is any is at the beginning. The rambling, obsessive nature of the egg description was perfect, but maybe I just have a particular affection for gooey-eggs. You used that word a lot: gooey. Referencing scrambled eggs, and perhaps eggs-sunny side up (not sure the proper culinary terminology for that) I understand where that is coming from, but when it was applied to poached eggs I didn't understand. If one of those is the same thing please correct me, but for all the build-up of what poached eggs are--both figuratively to you and physically what they look like--I wanted a little bit more of the latter, just so I could figure out what that experience was like.

    Grandy was grand. (Har har har). Your dialogue was superb, with anaylsis and background provided in an interesting manner that I thought was evident best in this section:

    “Oh, she was a beautiful cook. Everything she did was beautiful—she was an artist. And she cooked like one. The day she died she left meat out, defrosting on the counter.”
    A few months before my Mom had told me Grandy was writing an essay on her mother’s death and how it had affected her life. At twenty I still didn’t know my family history beyond two generations.

    If you were hopping before, these two grafs leap and bound. I want to read them over and over again.

    Anywho,

    Zac Clark

    Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your strength in this piece was your fluid and consistent insertion of seemingly minor images and details, like listening to Etta James. Your description of Grandy is also strong (although I wonder why you call her your mother’s mother, and not grandma in the beginning). You are able to weave the themes of food and childhood and legacy into the dialogue really well.

    I felt that you strayed from the “I” character towards the middle with Grandy’s dialogue about your great grandmother. If you decided to go this route, I think here would be a good place to insert your perspective on this woman you never knew and tie it into this larger theme of discovering family history and the legacy of women in past generations.

    I saw another theme come up at the very end of the essay, when Grandy says, “You had to choose. She wasn’t domestic enough.” This feels abrupt, and you don’t have enough space to really flesh it out. But it’s definitely another angle to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course, I loved all of the details. The description of Grandy in the beginning and the comparison to an egg were great. The heart-shaped spatulas and Etta James were used well to display the scene. You did a wonderful job of tying many things in while still maintaining a good flow. Paralleling listening to Grandy and mentioning the details of her poaching the egg was very well done. Although, I found myself imagining you sitting off to the side as she prepared the eggs. Since you were learning though, it seems like you would be at the counter, cooking alongside her. I agree with some of the others that mentioned the original intent in asking Grandy. Maybe it was just that you wanted to know more about your family history, but perhaps there were suspicions of something more? A wonderful piece overall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://youtu.be/yYey8ntlK_E
    We can pickle that!

    ReplyDelete